You might want to wear your sunglasses when reading this post - this shirt is extremely bright! My first attempt at the Tilly and the Buttons Rosa shirt dress. Spoiler alert: one of my new favourite items of clothing!
I finally got round to making an emery dress! This is more of a wearable toil but I'm so excited to make more. It might not look exactly the same as an emery and that's because I blended it with my bodice block to ensure a good fit. I also went for a sleeveless look.
The nights are really starting to draw in now and I am in full Autumn swing and loving it. My hat and scarf are officially out of their hiding places and it's only a matter of time before the gloves join them! I know this is depressing for some people but for me it's rather exciting. The colours of Autumn are my favourite and I have been thoroughly enjoying my walks to work through the Royal Pavilion gardens and seeing all the red and golden leaves on the ground. Stunning.
Anyway, without further ado let's get on to the post. I would like to introduce you to my Walkely dress.
The Walkley is a dress or top pattern from my MIY workshop which is run by the ever so talented Wendy Ward. This is my second MIY pattern before (my Brightside shrug being the first) and I can wholeheartedly recommend them to all the beginner sewists out there. They are easy to sew up, easy to wear and easy to love.
So how is this to make? Well, it's extremely easy and quick - I pretty much made it in an evening after work in between cooking and going to the gym. I mean how great is that?
This is such a great beginner project and a good introduction to knit fabric if you've never sewn that before. The instructions are as detailed as they need to be for such an easy project and Wendy includes lots of helpful tips for sewing pesky knits - always handy!
I choose a black and white stripped knit which had been lurking in my stash for a while from Girl Charlee as it seemed to be screaming at me to become a Walkley. I can't argue with that - a perfect pairing! The fabric is a ponte roma style and was great to work with. It has bobbled slightly after a wear and a wash but it's not so bad.
Now, although this was an easy make, it didn't go without it's fail points. I used the stretch stitch on my machine instead of a zigzag as I hadn't really used it much before. This was fine for the seams but I continued to use it on the hems and well, it just doesn't look that good. I unpicked the hem of the dress and used a zigzag stitch instead, but I didn't have the heart to do it for the neckline so I just left it. It doesn't look so bad I just much prefer a zigzag.
The other issue I had was I obviously didn't cut it out quite right and the hem, when folded, isn't quite an even stripe all the way around which looks slightly messy in places.
BUT despite those little issues - I still love this dress. In an effort to not get myself too bogged down with what I did wrong I'll point out that I made a dress, it fits, it's comfy and looks great. Winner!