Disclaimer: So I seem to have sewn a lot of Tilly and the Buttons patterns. I promise I don't just sew T&TB!! (but who would blame me if I did?) But currently they seem to reflect my style the best, be the most fun to wear and, perhaps more importantly, they're really fun to sew!
Ok, now on with the post!
I recently signed up to a 10 week introduction to dressmaking course. I have been making clothes for the past year now and most of what I have learned has come from reading the (copious) books I have purchased, Youtube videos and other bloggers. I feel I have a fairly good grasp and understanding of the basics but I wanted a little more 'real-life' coaching to make sure what I think I know, I do know (does that even make sense?) I also thought it would be nice to get out the house once in a while and meet other like-minded people.
I'm now in week 3 of the course and I must say I have no regrets! There is something so pleasurable about sewing in a group and I truly look forward to class each week- hurry up Thursday! If you get an opportunity to do anything like this in your area you really must try it!
So the WIP: the Arielle skirt by Tilly and the Buttons. This is the latest offering from T&TB and it is just lush! I have gone for the long version of the skirt (I have a lot of mini skirts in my wardrobe- it's time for something a little different!). I have also decided to add a lining as I have never lined anything before and I think I'm up for the challenge.
The fabric- my outer skirt is a wonderful teal green/ blue suiting material from fabric land (Brighton). It was a bargain at £2.00 p/m and a wonderful deep shade. As you can probably see from the pictures this fabric frays. A lot! So it's not for the faint hearted boys and girls!!
My lining is this lustrous metalic blue and gold paisley fabric and I am sooo in love with it. (it too frays- arrghh! But just look at it!)
The buttons- oh my gosh how I'm in love with these! It took me a while to choose buttons actually. This skirt definitely deserves some fancy pants buttons and I finally settled on these beauties I found on Etsy (they're vintage, don't you know!)
Construction-wise, so far, I have sewn up both the outer 'shell' (as seen in the picture above) and lining as well as stitching together the facing pieces.
Next up is attaching the lining to the facing pieces.
Wish me luck!