Albion progress

Waaaaaay back last June (the 3rd of June to be more precise!) I wrapped up a paper copy of the Albion sewing pattern and presented to my boyfriend as a birthday gift. He doesn't sew; the idea was, I would make it for him. 

We decided on the jacket version but we still wanted a lining so I figured I'd just look into how to draft some pieces myself. In July/ August I made a toile and then.... nothing. 

The first toile.

The first toile.

We went to Goldhawk Road for a sewing trip on my birthday and he picked out some fabrics and then... nothing. 

The raw materials - purchased last year and then left to sit and gather dust... sorry Rob!

The raw materials - purchased last year and then left to sit and gather dust... sorry Rob!

I bought some cotton twill from Fabric Land in Brighton an age ago (so long in fact I cannot remember when) thinking that I didn't want to take any risks with the lining and that I'd make a wearable toile. I picked up some black lining fabric from C and H fabrics, also in Brighton, some weeks after that... and then nothing. 

So here we are in mid-January and finally, 6 months later - some actual progress! 

As I mentioned in my New Year post, I went on a bit of an unplanned sewing hiatus in November/ December and then got a little scared to get back to it. But around the 2nd of Jan I decided enough was enough - I was going to stop procrastinating about this damn coat and make it, now or never! And so, I got back on the proverbial saddle, drafted out a lining and soldiered on (fairly blindly) with the project. 

Last Sunday I had a gloriously free-day, so I renamed it, "sewing the Albion coat' day. Coincidently, my boyfriend headed out for the day with his dad for a long country walk so it was just me, my sewing machine and the radio - blissful! 

Here are the results. 

Progress shot!

Progress shot!

The zipper shot

The zipper shot

I made a hood - and it's lined!

I made a hood - and it's lined!

Sleeve tab

Sleeve tab

Sewed the lining to the sleeve like a boss!

Sewed the lining to the sleeve like a boss!

It's not completely finished - I still need to do some top stitching and  purchase some toggles  and sew the proper hem, but I'm pretty pleased with the result so far and thought I would share them with you all. 

I'll write a full review when I actually finish and get some better pictures (i.e. ones not taken in the dark!). But for now, I'm sitting here all smug - I've made a coat! An actual coat! Yippppeeeeee!