I have mentioned previously that since my wardrobe clear out I have noticed some gaps in the wardrobe. I also noticed some very big gaps in the recent heatwave we had- I have no appropriate tops for summer!
As a bit of back story I've never been one for seasonal dressing. I wear what I wear when I wanna wear it. I basically wear everything with skin coloured tights in the summer and thick dark tights (and obviously some form of coat) in the winter months.
A lot of people always ask why I wear skin-coloured tights in the summer and often people think I'm crazy. I'm might be crazy but I'm a self-conscious crazy person. I just feel more comfortable in tights. Well, until recently that is! I've been working on a lot of inner demons and anxiety issues recently and the heat wave was actually a major deal breaker with the whole tights issues - it was so damn hot. Too damn hot for tights! So I made the decision to not wear them. It was a little nerve wracking walking out the house for the first time sans-leg wear (I had my Sew Over It Betty dress on) but I did it and it was amazing. I think the length of the dress really helped (it was just below the knee) and since then I've gone tight-less more and more. It might seem like it's not a big deal to most people but to me this is the BIGGEST deal and I'm so excited about it.
Anyway, I've digressed! In my quest for more heatwave appropriate items to fill up those holes in the ol' wardrobe I dug out my copy of the Sew Over It silk cami. I've had this pattern for absolutely ages. I think I got it free with a copy of Molly Makes magazine. It's been on the to-do list ever since then. I've even had this fabric for a fair few months with the intention of making the top. Well, now seemed like a good a time as ever to get making.
I normally hate pdf patterns (probably part of the reason I haven't made this yet). I just find it so monotonous cutting and sticking. However, I found this pretty soothing. I think because it's not so big it didn't take that long.
I cut out a straight size 16 and cut the fabric out on one layer. And speaking of the fabric, I used a viscose I bought from Fabric Land a few months ago. I fell in love with the print- I mean elephants and stripes?! I actually purchased this hoping to make this top before I went to India way back in January but that didn't happen.
I used french seams to stitch up the side and shoulder seams. I messed up a little with the facing and ended up just folding it over stitching. The facing is an all in one type jobby and I made this up sans-instructions and just kind of forgot about how to do it until I'd stitched it and then realised - doh! That's wrong. Oh well. It's worked out o.k so all's well that ends well.
This top is incredibly easy to make. I reckon it took me about an hour and half or something like that. It took slightly longer as I cut my fabric in one layer and screwing up with the facing so I reckon I could do this in less time next time. And yes, there will be a next time. Such a satisfying make.
This top is quite big, especially at the bottom but I quite like it like that. I normally wear more fitted tops but this is a nice steer away from that the usual style and I'm embracing a slight change in my style right now.
I think some plain solid coloured versions are needed next. Although I'm on a slight fabric buying ban... we'll see how long that lasts!